I guess it is a good sign in my “craftsmanship” (and I do use that term loosely) that my sister asked me to crochet a baby blanket that she can give as a gift to a friend. My budget was limited and the only criteria I was given was to make the blanket blue (because it is for a boy).
AC Moore had Stitch Studio by Nicole yarn in the Belle style on sale. This is a super bulky, soft acrylic yarn that uses an M hook The color I chose had various shades of blue in it; it is called “Mint to Be’ (color SS3002-07). With the sale and the coupon I had, I got 4 skeins (8.5 oz each) for $17.
I used stitch 416 with a few modifications.
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across (60 st)
Row 2: Ch3 (counts as dc), *dc in next 2 st, ch 2, skip 2, repeat from * across, ending with 3 dc. turn
Row 3: ch 5 (counts as dc, ch2), skip3 st, *work over the ch 2 space from the prior row dc in each of the 2 sc from that row, ch 2, skip 2, repeat from * across, end with dc in the prior turn chain, turn
Row 4:Ch3 (counts as dc), *work over the ch 2 space from the prior row dc in each of the 2 dc from that row, ch 2, skip 2, repeat from * across, end with dc in the prior turn chain, turn
Row 5: ch 5 (counts as dc, ch2), skip3 st, *work over the ch 2 space from the prior row dc in each of the 2 dc from that row, ch 2, skip 2, repeat from * across, end with dc in the prior turn chain, turn
Repeat rows 4 and 5 to continue the pattern.
I used up about 2 skeins to get approximately a 26” square. Not to leave a huge space in the top row, I repeated the next row as I would if I were continuing the pattern, except I sc instead of ch and hdc instead of dc.
When I reached the final stitch in the row, I put in 3 sc so I could turn down the first side
So that the blanket did not curl from too many stitched (trust me I had to pull it out a few times until I got this to look acceptable), I only put 1 sc in each row. Because the blanket was about 26 rows when I was completed, there would have been a total of 26 stitched down the entire blanket. Remember to end with 3 sc in the final stitch – so actually if you include the extra stitches in the corner, there were 28 stitches.
When I reached the bottom, I put 1 sc in each stitch across and 3sc in the corner.
Then I went up the other side as I had done the other and then fastened off.
Here is the final product which I completed in mid December. I hope my sister, the mother to be and the baby like it.